If you need a little bit of melty, sensual, chocolate happiness this Valentine’s Day give this recipe a try. It won’t fix your soul, but it just might be the best thing you’ve ever put in your mouth, and that’s a start.
Flourless Chocolate Torte
1 pound semisweet chocolate, cut up
1 pound butter
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup whipping cream
12 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut up
1 ounce milk chocolate (optional)
1. Grease bottom and sides of a 10-inch springform pan and set aside. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
2. In a heavy, large saucepan, combine the 1 pound chocolate, the butter, 1 cup whipping cream, and sugar. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until chocolate and butter are melted. Remove from heat.
3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and vanilla together. Slowly stir half the chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Then pour this new egg mixture back into the remaining chocolate mixture (this is to slowly raise the temperature of the eggs so you don’t wind up with scrambled egg torte). Stir. Pour batter into prepared pan and place pan on the foil-lined baking sheet.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, or until evenly puffed and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
5. Put in the fridge and chill several hours or until firm. This gives you plenty of time to listen to Jason Mraz CDs, watch Jason Mraz clips online, or catch up on Jason’s latest journal entries. Run a knife or spatula around sides of torte and remove the sides of the pan.
6. In a small saucepan, heat the 1 cup whipping cream just to boiling. Place the 12 ounces chocolate in a medium bowl. Add hot whipping cream and stir until chocolate is melted. Cool to room temperature. Spread over top of torte, allowing some of the mixture to drizzle down the sides. Cover and chill for several minutes or until set.
7. If desired, drizzle torte with melted milk chocolate.
8. Put on your favorite movie, snuggle up with your favorite other, and love the moment you’re in.